TrevorPTweedleD

The Daylight Marriage
Heidi Pitlor
A God in Ruins
Kate Atkinson
Hungry Ghosts (Inspector Ramirez, #3)
Peggy Blair
Terry Hayes
The Quest
Nelson DeMille

LifeChoice

LifeChoice - Todd Morgano Received a copy of LifeChoice by Todd Morgano through the First Reads Giveaway program in exchange for an honest review

"modern science in all its glory. Life is getting less and less mysterious with each passing year."

In Terra Vista, one of the biggest, most expensive gated communities in the country there is a upstart company offering a chance of a lifetime. Think of it as a Make a Wish for adults that are struggling with their lives and need a reprieve from their day-to-day responsibilities. The catch is that the dream you wish for comes at a cost, where the currency that you pay is not monetary, but in fact, the shortening of your previously known life's expectancy. There is a distinct discrepancy between how the public feels about the controversial company known as LifeChoice. Some people feel that it is other worldly, absolutely incorrigible to assume the role in playing god, while LifeChoice also promotes a feeling of increased self-consciousness and neurotic behaviour. The progressive other side feel that the presence of this particular bioscience aids in taking away the suffering that life can bring. One thing is for sure, is that you can't deny the success that they have realized and the interest among the masses that they have procured.

There are a few narratives going on in this novel. The primaries are that of a father named Remy McCune and his daughter Christine. As a young man Remy was thought to be a promising baseball player with a full scholarship until a rotator cuff ended that dream before it started. He tried to say in the game but as life's responsibilities beckoned he quickly had to find a better way of life for his wife Bev and their daughter Christine. As he is getting older he has become a stubborn advocate for post-secondary education, as he believes that as what separated him from being a have and not a have not. Today he is a construction worker working on houses that belong to the cities most wealthy. After he is denied a promotion within the construction company he has a complete meltdown, he damages a home he had worked on and after twenty-two years of service he was fired without further question. Reflecting on his life he is desperate for a second chance, a fresh start, a new beginning and after an auspicious encounter he thinks he has finally found it.

"Sometimes I have this fantasy that something bad happens to the world - some have disasters of some sort that knocks everyone to their knees, so everyone has to start over on equal footing. I think what this world needs is a reset - a do-over - because there's so much we've gotten wrong, and there's no way we're going to correct it unless something drastic happens."

Christine is a political science major, spiritual, philanthropic, socially-conscious, but would like to take more chances. She has big dreams that extend beyond the confines of her cities limits. She is well aware of her father's insecurities as it relates to education and her mom's religious reconciliation. While at a concert put on by an artist with a socio-political message against economic alienation, the segregation of the rich and the poor, and for the elimination of gentrification within the cities streets. This experience offers a grand revelation for Christine and provides a much needed purpose for her life. She truly believes she could be of great importance to the world, and she believes Maxwell is her vehicle to an impactful life.

James is a New York native and a graduate from Yale who moved to a small town after graduation. He is a news reporter with a goal of becoming an investigative reporter on network television. He has been in the city for two years and is sick and tired of the same old drug busts, shootings, domestic violence cases. Ever since he has been on the job he has been going under his director Jake's nose and has been following a story where six people have died similar deaths with no direct link. He wants to report real news that rewards the hard working, determined and career-loving individuals, and he is dead-set on doing what he needs to do in order to achieve her dream.

Victor Zane is the head of the LifeChoice company that has recently unsettled the feelings of the public, he is unaware of the trouble that surrounds the company and inhabits the public. Someone within his chain of command has suppressed information leaving Mr.Zane in the dark. Victor is unaware of the goings on in the internal flow of data assuming everything is fine as he decides to make LifeChoice a publicly traded company.

This book was a little too ordinary in relation to the expectations I had before reading this book. You are left with the feeling that this book will have a detailed account of what life would be like given this "fortunate" situation. If you're going to take the chance and read a book that focuses on the unbelievable, yet possible given the current state of science and technology, why would you present it like a common read? The idea is fantastic, the execution left plenty to be desired. For me there was one surprise, the rest was monotonous.

"Families like ours, who don't have a lot of opportunity come our way, we tell ourselves the world isn't stacked against us. We tell ourselves it's just bad luck. But if the world truly is stacked against us, then we're just knocking our heads into the wall for no goddamn reason. And what's the sense of that? At that point, it's just suffering - which I see no point to."