TrevorPTweedleD

The Daylight Marriage
Heidi Pitlor
A God in Ruins
Kate Atkinson
Hungry Ghosts (Inspector Ramirez, #3)
Peggy Blair
Terry Hayes
The Quest
Nelson DeMille

Servants of the Storm

Servants of the Storm - Delilah S. Dawson Received a copy of Servants of the Storm by Delilah S. Dawson through the First Reads Giveaway program in exchange for an honest review

"The sound cuts off, and Carly stares at the dead phone like she wants to crush it in her fist. Thunder shakes the house again, and a flash of lightning illuminates the shabby living room. Suddenly everything seems very still. The wind goes silent. Our eyes meet in the dim light. We both know, deep down in our bones that the storm is at its most deadly right when things get quiet."

It's November 2012 and Hurricane Josephine is roaring towards the city of Savannah, Georgia. Two tried, tested, and true best plasma-exchanged friends Carly Ray and Billie "Dovey" Greenwood are alone calmly waiting for the storm to pass through. At sixteen years old you often fall victim to the feeling of invincibility or the otherworldly realization of immortality. But as water starts flooding your home forcing you from the safety of the basement into the danger zone of the attic, death begins to feel all too real. When the roof is ripped off by the descending gale force winds, Carly is blown from her home and submerged under the raging waters a great distance away. As Dovey looks out Carly can not be seen, a few days later Carly is ruled dead, and Savannah as the locals have come to know it will never be the same again.

A year has passed and Dovey is a living zombie. Not the dead, fiendishly raging for brains kind, but the prescribed to take anti-psychotic medications kind. She has lived the passed year numb to the world, a laughing stock to some of her schoolmates, a phantom to others. Her parents want Dovey to forget about the past, but she has made the decision to stop taking the medicine and in her mind, whatever happens, happens. All of a sudden Dovey is having visions of Carly(or someone that looks a whole lot like her) at all of her favourite hang out spots. With a clear mind she is determined to get to the bottom of this troubling situation. But when she encounters sides of Savannah that may make her wish she was back on the "meds", she realizes her step into this dimension means there is no turning back.

" ' You need to let sleeping dogs lie, girl. You look into the shadows long enough, something's gonna start looking back.' He shifts from foot to foot and won't meet my eyes."

At her high school the drama enthusiasts are currently rehearsing their production of Shakespeare's The Tempest. As the story Servants of the Storm unravels you begin to find out that life starts to imitate art. With the help of childhood friend Joshua Baker and unlikely heroine/evil cambion Isaac Raleigh, the reader learns that Hurricane Josephine didn't just bring the rain, lightning, and winds with her, she brought incubuses, demons, succubuses, and other minions.

Essentially, this book was not for me. I try my best to be open-minded when it comes to all genre's but more often than not young adult as well as horror novels with paranormal elements just don't have what I am looking for. The first hundred pages were interesting when the story focused on the psychological, but when I first read about demonic elements and was provided a backdrop, a cringe worthy expression came upon my face. When the plot reveals itself and starts focusing on the supernatural and the utter-unbelievable kind at that, my attention wanes and more often than not the ending could not come soon enough(with this book the ending is very good). I guess I should stick to using my measurement tool of reading universal-appealing books before I look into purchasing. Now I know plenty of people will enjoy this story, and I encourage all young people to read, so pick up this book and give it a shot.

"A few lone green lights flicker on what was once the biggest, fastest, scariest coaster in the state.
The Frog Strangler. Even the name's awful.
I remember when I was younger, asking my mom why they would name a ride such a horrible thing. She didn't know, so I asked my nana, because like Gigi my nana knew everything. And she said, ' It's the folksy name for a storm so bad that it doesn't just rain cats and dogs, it even kills frogs, animals God put on this earth to love a storm. Like Katrina, Katrina was a frog strangler. Hope I never see one up close. ' "