TrevorPTweedleD

The Daylight Marriage
Heidi Pitlor
A God in Ruins
Kate Atkinson
Hungry Ghosts (Inspector Ramirez, #3)
Peggy Blair
Terry Hayes
The Quest
Nelson DeMille

The Bullies' Predatory Footprint

The Bullies' Predatory Footprint - Terri Ryan Received a copy of The Bullies' Predatory Footprint by Terri Ryan through the First Reads Giveaway in exchange for an honest review

The lack of clarity of what bullying is among countries around the world has made the persistent problem hard to address and a solution even harder to find. What we know is that in a micro sense bullying decreases human value, hurts human rights and ruins lives. What people fail to realize that in a macro sense, bullying negatively effects a nations economic climate. After reading this book the most important message I took away was to be proactive in conveying the value of the golden rule to children rather than reacting after they have presented some of the distinguishing characteristics of a bully. Since the school environment is regarded as a microcosm of society as a whole whereby physical, cognitive, social, moral, and ethical skills are developed; it has become mandatory for children to appreciate one another for the sake of the human race and the global economy.

"Children who learn how to acquire power through aggression on
the playground may transfer these lessons to sexual harassment,
date violence, gang attacks, marital abuse, child abuse, and
elder abuse."

For as long as I can remember I have always been interested in the psychology of why people do the things they do. Friends tend to look at me narrow-eyed when I read books about serial killers, human trafficking, world despots and the people behind the sex trade. I am not interested in the acts or how they performed their physical behaviours, I am curious about the motivating factors behind them. With the bullying epidemic consistently spreading like wildfire with the no-looking-back progressive nature of social media and the at times debilitating lack of privacy; bullying has become a twenty four hour a day, seven day a week, three hundred and sixty five day a year obsession. With all of the potential resources lost to this growing problem and the decaying of the moral fabric that holds society together, the hunt for the solution has been glaringly underwhelming.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men (and
women) do nothing." Edmund Burke

In retrospect, even as a young, well-liked guy in school being associated with the popular group lends itself to being a part of issuing some unwarranted hate. Me being the unassuming guy that I am was typically a bystander for these occurrences, which I thought was something that I could be somewhat proud of, but after reading this book I know realize the role I played was equally as responsible as the few who truly did the damage. As I have grown up I never really bought in to the adult or employment-oriented bullying. At this age who needs more friends, we're not trying to fill up all the front and back pages of yearbooks with signatures of people we will no longer have any kind of relationship with in a couple of years. In a sense it is a sad thing to say but with workplace politics, ingratiating tactics, and backstabbing it is difficult to decipher from the trustworthy and the psychopaths. From this book I think the practice of detachment would be the best method from avoiding negative attention and taking control of the dynamic.

This book taught me quite a few things and added some terminology to my lexicon. Mobbing, gaslighting, tornadoes, pair-bully, bullycide, kleptocracy, presenteeism... I enjoyed reading about how the isolated Inuit nipped the problem of psychopathic behaviour in the bud by simply shoving them off ice floes and wringing their hands like nothing out of the ordinary was done. And who knew the French were so aggressive? Is it a form of over compensation for a global reputation or what?

This book is as thorough, resourceful and formulaec as you can get in the establishment of an anti-bullying blueprint. Teachers, business owners, managers, child care workers, coaches, health care providers; anyone who cares about their businesses production levels, their bottom-line, the health of our aging population or the future of the next generation should read this book.

"The bully is not looking for imperfections but people with
insecurities about their imperfections, so a reaction is drawn
and they have permission to respond with further acts of
aggression."