TrevorPTweedleD

The Daylight Marriage
Heidi Pitlor
A God in Ruins
Kate Atkinson
Hungry Ghosts (Inspector Ramirez, #3)
Peggy Blair
Terry Hayes
The Quest
Nelson DeMille

Ghost Moth

Ghost Moth - Michele Forbes Received a copy of Ghost Moth By Michele Forbes through the First Reads Giveaway

Ghost Moth is a beautifully crafted debut novel brought to the world and envisioned by Michele Forbes. This story is eerily spellbinding in its literary delivery. I know quite a few reviewers said they found it to be lyrical, and while I agree that it was, I found it to also have a performance narrative. You can understand that the author has a background in the performance arts industry due in part to the way she sets the scene and tells the story. Often times people find lyrical novels to be unnecessarily complicated, but Ghost Moth elicits the right amount of reaction to make it fit justly.

This is most certainly a novel that takes you on a journey back and forth from time-period to time-period to construct a well-connected story. As an avid reader I left each sitting in an ethereal trance thinking of some of the utter beauty of the English language displayed by the author. Michele was able to deeply stir my emotions and let my imagination run freely with her writing even if for the majority of the time it was somber at best. From the beginning until the end you have the sense that a black cloud is hovering over the family as they are filled with absorption, deceit, mystery, and despondency. Any sunny breaks are swiftly followed by more ominous clouds which seems rather symbolic in reflecting the state of Ireland at the specified time. Sure, with all the conflicts between the Protestant Loyalists and the Catholic Republicans that feeling is a given, but without that important aspect in this story you still feel an aura of disarray within the Bedford family.

Growing up my mother's first message pertaining to reading was to read the book as it is written and do not ignore the author's implicit suggestions that make up the constitution of a good book. Early in my life I had no idea what the hell she was talking about. As I progressed into higher education it finally hit me on the meaning of my mother's complexities. The author's selection of punctuation, utilization of vocabulary, and the environmental variables of the setting allow the reader to get a feel for the tone and other hidden nuances that the author wants to convey directly or indirectly. Ghost Moth proved these ideas to be relevant and heightened my interest immensely.

I recommend Ghost Moth to anyone that enjoys when an author uses the English language as their own personal playground and is not put off by a feeling-based approach to interpretation.