TrevorPTweedleD

The Daylight Marriage
Heidi Pitlor
A God in Ruins
Kate Atkinson
Hungry Ghosts (Inspector Ramirez, #3)
Peggy Blair
Terry Hayes
The Quest
Nelson DeMille

Emotional Intelligence 2.0

Emotional Intelligence 2.0 -  'Jean Greaves', 'Travis Bradberry' Received a copy of Emotional Intelligence 2.0 by Travis Bradberry & Jean Greaves through the First Reads Giveaway in exchange for an honest review

"Your emotions are powerful weapons, and continuing to
think that their effects are instant and minimal will
only do you a disservice."

Between the frown lines on my forehead, the laugh lines around mouth and the smattering of grey hair on my temples, one would be just in concluding that I am or I have been a fairly emotional person or a bearer of bad heredity. Throughout my life I have always been told that I wore my heart on my sleeve. I always thought that that was a complimentary statement, but as I got older and more involved with woman as well as occupational politics I realized the importance of keeping your emotions in check. I now see the heart on the sleeve as a potential weakness that can be preyed upon, if you let it.

There is an old saying that states a person's true nature is revealed at a time of tragedy or a state of panic. Being as big of a fan of documentaries as I am I recently watched a special on 9/11 and the long-term effects on New York probably for the hundredth time. As unimaginable as that horrific event was, the sight of trapped people in the twin towers and panic-stricken people running from the debris leaves me with many questions. From a very, very, very outside point of view that is comfy and cozy writing the review with his feet up the thought of being in a situation like that is left for visualization in the mind. I still maintain that it is essential to control the utilization of valuable energy during traumatic times and not to deplete your resources due to a lack of composure. It is comparable to the first story in the book of Butch Conner and the Great White Shark. Now truth be told I have always had a fear of sharks. Once I reached a certain age where childhood freedoms were negated I started to agree with Chris Rock's thoughts on sharks and how you don't see them wearing three-piece suits with briefcases walking down the sidewalk so why do people feel the need to get in a swimsuit and play around in the murky ocean. In my best Chris Rock voice "respect each other’s homes, you are not welcome." The point I am trying to make is that for Butch to realize that his survival was contingent on him controlling his fear and not to be paralyzed by that fear, while looking that fear directly in the face speaks volumes for how people should respond when encountered with the unthinkable.

"Trust is a peculiar resource; it is built rather than
depleted by use. Trust is something that takes time to
build and can be lost in seconds."

IQ is a fixed measurement that is the same at age 15 as it is at 50. EQ is a measurement consistent with plasticity in that it can be learned over time. EQ accounts for 58% of performance successes on the job and is the single biggest predictor of leadership and personal excellence. Think of Sheldon Cooper's non-responsive nature to social cues when you want to understand the necessity of EQ rather than a mastery level of intelligence in terms of social growth.

Before reading this book and doing the pre-test of my EQ I thought it would be best to see how well I can judge my understanding of my emotional self. From my internal analysis out of the 4 key components that constitute the Emotional Quotient I would put social awareness, self management, relationship management, and finally self awareness as my list from strongest to weakest. After taking the small scale test of 20 questions at TalentSmart.com my results indicated that my knowledge of my emotional strengths was a bit off. My EQ score was 81 and my highest score by a wide discrepancy was a 93 in self awareness and indicated to be a true strength to capitalize on. I view this revelation as the true nature of how EQ is a learning tool. Over the years I have learned how to take the good with the bad, better control my emotions and handle certain situations and people the way their emotions suggest and not painted with a broad brush. The remaining 3 categories were close in results that I can't isolate a distinct narrative to take away except that they all have the potential to be a great strength with work and practice.

Beyond the fact that the EQ test was twenty rather simple questions, the EQ strategies were extremely relevant to my emotional shortcomings. Man oh man, these suggestions were dead on, they included:

- take control of your self talk,
- focus your attention on your freedoms rather than your
limitations, and
- accept that change that is just around the corner.

The book said that "the thoughts that are most influential are those where you literally talk to yourself." I am a habitual self-talker, (not aloud, now that would be crazy) and am happy to know that what is often regarded as mentally disturbed is in fact emotionally lauded. I have participated in quite a few IQ&EQ tests in the past. Within these tests were pages upon pages of questions and illustrations in order to better compartmentalize your results. With the test provided by the book I would have liked a more through questionnaire with specific cases to better gauge my responses and reactions. In the end I feel as though my social awareness is better than the results would indicate.

I thought this was an enjoyable read and is recommended to people wanting to achieve more in the workplace, men trying to understand woman a little better, woman trying to understand more about themselves or anyone simply wanting a non-intensive learning experience.