TrevorPTweedleD

The Daylight Marriage
Heidi Pitlor
A God in Ruins
Kate Atkinson
Hungry Ghosts (Inspector Ramirez, #3)
Peggy Blair
Terry Hayes
The Quest
Nelson DeMille

The Sense of Touch

The Sense of Touch - Ron Parsons Received a copy of The Sense of Touch By Ron Parsons through the First Reads Giveaway

Subtle in its entirety, unconventional in its beauty, The Sense of Touch is lyrical in its prose but accessible for all to enjoy. How can something so small, so delicate, and so graceful pack that big of a punch leaving a profound imprint resonating on the reader's mind? If people knew the answer the market would be saturated and the effects of this narrative would be numbed. Lucky for us their are very few that have the competency to execute and the willingness to traverse the enigmatic nature of the emotional landscapes the way Mr.Parsons did in The Sense of Touch. With that said I guess it would be safe to say that with Ron Parsons writing technique he is the Archie Moore of the literary short story world.

"Absence diesembodies. If a person isn't there for you to touch they are not real."

In The Sense of Touch, Ron Parsons debut collection of short stories, he details the peculiarities of life, the ambiguous nature of death and all that's discovered in between. Some of the subjects deal with physical,psychological, and spiritual ailments that everyone can sympathize with. The difference is the author's ability to shy away from the obvious and detail the intrinsic nature that are often left fleeting from our minds. At times I was left without words and living in my head contemplating what I just read and how impactful the clearly apparent can be when it is seemingly unrecognizable to the naked eye.

Like many short story collections it is incredibly difficult to enjoy every single short story in the same way. Typically their are 15-20 stories in these collections making the probability quite high; however Mr.Parsons was quite clever keeping his material tightly wound with 8 stories that had common environs but vastly different human conditions. It is like being in the same neighbourhood with the allowance of walking into different houses and being the proverbial fly on the wall. In this book you gain a clearer understanding of:

a man's inability to make long term commitments,
the precarious and non-discriminatory character of death,
the importance of seeing what other people are thinking,
the victims of unrequited love,
a spiritually and mentally disjointed immigrant trying to blend in,
a person's longing for change and the reawakening of her lost spirit,
an adolescent resisting destruction after suffering through a lifetime of loss,and
a man content living with deception and the denial of physical interpersonal relationships.

Within the broad scope of the human condition, this book pretty much covers it all.

I thoroughly enjoyed these stories and I look forward to reading Ron Parsons future work. Thanks again for sending me a copy, these stories will stay with me for a long,long time.