TrevorPTweedleD

The Daylight Marriage
Heidi Pitlor
A God in Ruins
Kate Atkinson
Hungry Ghosts (Inspector Ramirez, #3)
Peggy Blair
I Am Pilgrim: A Thriller
Terry Hayes
The Quest
Nelson DeMille

Critical Mass (V.I. Warshawski Novel)

Critical Mass - Sara Paretsky Their is no need for me to rehash the historical conflict between Nazi Germany and the Jewish people of Europe. Pertaining to this book the conflict is isolated towards the Austrian Jewish people before and after the Anschluss that freed many but also left many behind. This book offers some very thought-provoking revelations and highlights the power of redemption even at one's weakened state.

There are plenty of examples of how a person's social status holds no connection to their own true character. From the power hungry Cornell and Edward Breen leading their own family believe one thing while doing another, to Martina showing signs of being an absentee cold hearted mom/woman during a cold hearted time. To me this was a story of justice but ultimately redemption.

An earlier reviewer of Critical Mass made mention that they were a seasoned veteran in the goings on V.I. Warshawski and may be a little tired or experiencing a burnout. Well I am here too happily take the baton and follow your lead because this experience for me was a very positive one.

From the start the story grabs you and progresses at a pace similar to a five course meal at a high end restaurant. I was going to say an Italian wedding but I didn't want to give you the wrong impression that you would be asleep by the end of it, in fact it couldn't be farther from the truth. The slow build up came to a pause for me when I reached the Nevada, Lost Love chapter, from that point the pages were burning from my enthusiasm to what was coming next.

While I am writing this review I am in the midst of reading The Almond Tree which I won in another First Reads Giveaway. What I found interesting, well for anyone that read Critical Mass for that matter, was found in this passage: "I'd got the idea after reading two articles. The first was a lecture given by physicist Richard Feynman at Caltech in 1959 entitled "There's Plenty of Room at the Bottom" in which he considered the possibility of direct manipulation of individual atoms. I believed his theory could help us in our research." Had to include this in my review even if it was not found in Critical Mass fans of the intriguing character Martin would still find it relative.