TrevorPTweedleD

The Daylight Marriage
Heidi Pitlor
A God in Ruins
Kate Atkinson
Hungry Ghosts (Inspector Ramirez, #3)
Peggy Blair
Terry Hayes
The Quest
Nelson DeMille

13 Years in America

13 Years in America - Melanie Steele Received a copy of 13 Years In America By Melanie Steele through the First Reads Giveaway

"The road of twists and turns and no two directions are ever the
same. Yet our lessons come from the journey not the destination."
Don Williams Jr.

The story is simple in its delivery, no smoke and mirrors, honesty even if it does not flatter the inherent or acquired essences of the main characters. The thought of hope is alive and well despite all the challenges encountered directly or indirectly along the way leading to a feeling that beyond the pages it will be forever eternal.

Melanie, in my eyes was a very complicated character to figure out. At times I was amazed by her adolescence, free-spirit, and perceptions. Other times she came across as very naive, short sighted and somewhat selfish. The couples financial savvy was non-existent minus the savings bond which was very responsible. Melanie and Scott both had their moments of immaturity but over time and missteps along the way they progressed into a highly functional family unit. The great relief was watching her evolution and finding her dominant voice during her foray as a teacher and in doing so becoming more of a well rounded woman. She may have decided to go down a different path after teaching, but she showed me something and made me alter my outlook for the remainder of the novel. Scott was pure gold in understanding and accepting his parental role, swallowing his pride in a time when "bread" winners were at work and not at home baking it as well. His ability to withhold his feelings towards his own job regrets from Melanie is truly admirable. His strategy for keeping management off his back when he was a loss prevention officer made him a truly likable and affable character.

One glaring thought that I have to mention is how it is a love story in every sense of the word, yet their is no mention of copulation and very little mention of physical displays of affection. Sure their is a lot of drinking going on, and we all know what that is a prelude to, but not for one second do I doubt the strength of their love for one another. This is a very subtle tactic that I found very profound and from a man's perspective somewhat reassuring.

This book gave me the feeling that in some cases everything you could possibly dream of happens to reside in your very own backyard. You believe Melanie aspired to live a dream life that she thought could only be possessed down south in the land of intangible hope. Once realizing that that was not the case the home she remembered, and now wanted was never the same again. If you use your heart as your compass your dream will come wherever you end up, but you must be a willing listener and embrace what comes.

A little side note before I let you go. When I first cracked the binding on this book to start reading I had my trusty notebook where I jot down some reminders for when I write the review. Well, my pen went dry and I grabbed myself a new one. This pen was in a holder with about fifty random pens that I have stolen/salvaged on my travels and it was the only earth friendly eco pen I had. Lo and behold, upon completing the book and learning of the varying messages between the lines I am certain it must have been some sort of coincidental providence that blindly guided my hand to this pen. Weird, or What.