TrevorPTweedleD

The Daylight Marriage
Heidi Pitlor
A God in Ruins
Kate Atkinson
Hungry Ghosts (Inspector Ramirez, #3)
Peggy Blair
Terry Hayes
The Quest
Nelson DeMille

Lemonade: Inspired by Actual Events

Lemonade: Inspired by Actual Events - Bernard L. Dillard Received a copy of Lemonade By Bernard L. Dillard through the First Reads Giveaway

The author does a great job of utilizing a conversational tone throughout the book. He manages to inform the reader of the various intricacies while living within his troubled childhood environment.

"It takes a village to raise a child." African proverb

The presence of family is a recurring theme throughout the novel. When I say family, I don't mean family as the government census bureau would suggest or that of a white suburban family. In this novel Bernard talked of a family with respect to, how he coined it "mentee's". From neighbourhood elder overseers, to adopted pastors found through travels, and other saints found along the way. In a lot of ways this book unraveled much like the film A Guide To Recognizing Your Saints. You are born into your immediate family, and the majority of the time they want nothing but the best for you, However; their are times when the responsibility is thrust upon you to recognize the positive influences and the way in which they can guide you in achieving your dreams.

The initial narrative seems to come through the eyes of the child at the time the events are unfolding. Their is no implication by me that the style is amateurish I am saying that it sounds as if Bernard at that time is speaking to you. Their are moments of present age Bernard reflecting on the past with insightful commentaries, but for the most part it is spoken from the youngsters narrative. One problem I had was the presence of "thesaurusesque" type of words that kind of stuck out for me while reading. I understand the temptation to use more grandiose type of vocabulary but if the tone is childlike with a playful,hopeful, and approachable type of tone then the presence of bigger words tend to lose their efficiency and purpose. As Bernard got older the presence of this type of vocabulary seemed more fitting and flowed more naturally as his passion for academia and literature evolved to a grand scale.

The book could have been more concise in certain areas. At times I felt the need to skim certain parts because the talking points did not necessitate having a several page spread.

I don't advocate ever, ever, ever physical confrontation let alone when it involves a woman, but if you have ever worked in the "back of the house" at a restaurant it is incredibly stressful. As an owner of a restaurant the whole day is consumed by the operations so when you get home the last thing someone would want is a verbal reprimand once stepping foot through the door. In the same breath Vicky is also doing heavy lifting with the care taking of three young children as well as working. Simply put I wish the parents in this story knew their marriage was not going to work out before it came to blows for the sake of the children as well as the possibility of maintaining an amicable friendship. Their are references in the novel from Dwayne Sr.'s own blood sister Raquel that he was intolerable and mean. From my gatherings he was more of a despondent, emotionally absent father more so than an angry one.More of a back story would have been appreciated for better comprehension of the roots of his anger.

You know that mother Vicky is quite stubborn and unabashedly so, and you understand Dwayne Sr. is an angry individual but you don't really know the underlying reason for why these heads class; star signs can't be the only trigger. I want to know the whole story to make a better judgment of what is truly going on not just what is at plain sight. Through the earlier passages I feel sorry for Dwayne Sr. and I really shouldn't but the constant barrage from Vicky and work stress makes him more of a sympathetic character early in the book. Again no relationship should be harboured with fear but Vicky exhibited no signs of being submissive she was more of the antagonist in these conflicts.

Throughout my childhood I can justifiably say that I grew up without the emotional presence of my father. He was around but it seemed that when not working he spent all of his free time with friends deep into the night. Like Bernard I remember the feeling being in bed that I was the initial line of defense. I had my plan of action if some burglars/bad people broke into the home that was until my father got home and I could finally take a breath,get to bed and come to terms with the fact that my job as mother/brother/pet/baseball card protector was over. What a relief!!! At thirteen my dad left my mom for another woman. It's funny because he left, but he was seeing that same woman while he was still married to my mom so his reason for leaving remains unclear. During my formative years becoming a man without the emotional and physical presence of his dad was tough. While reading about Bernard's issues with his father I really could relate and felt a certain kinship towards him, not just by the apparent reasons but more so in the way he handled situations emotionally with his father.

Some miscellaneous notes I would like to single out. I really appreciated Bernard's outline of the affects related to children growing up in a "fatherless" home. My father grew up when prejudice was an obvious reality rather than the subtle, yet very present reality of today. One of my earliest memories was him hysterically laughing at Martin dealing with Shenenee and how my dad would say "Martinnnn" like how Tisha Campbell would, maybe Bernard could help me with the phonetics. For me The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air remains one of my favorite sitcoms of all time.

I also enjoyed his discussion about the peculiarities of the people that live in New York how they look at tourists, mama Vicky's "vacay" and events found in the daily Brooklyn Olympics.

To answer a question posed by Bernard in the book I was sitting on my exercise ball enjoying a glass of red wine, feeling pretty good for that matter while I was listening to Barack Obama's victory speech. I was amazed at the grip he had at the surrounding audience as well as the grip he had on a Canadian boy from a city outside of Toronto, you could say it was the wine that made me so emotionally entranced but I say it was the need for change and the power of Barack.

Bernard's passage on pages 305 and 306 was the most important for me and would like to thank him for that.

Bernard's presence of mind in that beauty fades but generalized additive models lasts forever is a very short-term approach to living life in the moment and is often undertaken by hopeful dreamers with less than stellar educational credentials. For Bernard I believe he made the correct decision.

Lemonade is truly the ultimate success story, similar to that of a fairy tale in that you don't believe it to be true and you were waiting for him to get the girl at the end. Congratulations Bernard, and thank you for helping me learn how to transform lemons into something that is oh so sweet.